Latin American and Caribbean Seismological Commission
The IASPEI "Latin American and Caribbean Seismological Commission" was proposed during a Seismology Symposium held in Lima, Peru, in September 2012, and was formally approved by the IASPEI Council in its General Assembly held in Gothenburg in July 2013.
The LACSC mission is to promote the science of Seismology in Latin America and Caribbean by encouraging research studies, by extending and enhancing scientific co-operation and by facilitating training of young scientists. The organization of the biannual IASPEI Regional Assembly is one of its main tasks.
- Executive Committee (2022-2024)
- President: Esteban Chaves (Costa Rica)
- Vice-President: Victor Huérfano (Puerto Rico)
- Past-President: Mario Ruiz (Ecuador)
- Executive Secretary: Xyoli Pérez-Campos (Mexico)
Additional members of the LACSC Executive Committee
- Leda Sánchez (Uruguay, CERESIS)
- Marcelo Assump??o (Brazil)
- José Augusto Casas (Argentina)
- Cristobal Condori (Peru)
- Patricia Pedraza (Colombia)
- Sergio Ruiz (Chile)
- Wilfried Strauch (Nicaragua)
- Johannes Schweitzer (IASPEI)
- Bogotá, Colombia, 23-25 July 2014. Final Report.
- San José, Costa Rica, 2016. Final Report.
- Miami, USA, 14-17 May 2018, "Seismology of the Americas" (joint with SSA). More information at: https://seismology2018.org
- Quito, Ecuador, 3-5 October 2022. Final report.
- Costa Rica, 2024 (details to follow)